We all want to look perfect for our wedding day … understandably! After all, that is why you have booked us to do your hair and makeup. But, there are things you can do in the lead up to your big day to make sure your ideal hairstyle is achieved. We have covered everything you need to know – so, read on to get the hairstyle of your dreams!
When planning your hairstyle and choosing inspiration photos, keep in mind your hair colour and type. If you are a brunette, try and choose hairstyles pictured on a brunette. Most styles you see on Pinterest are of blondes – that’s because blonde hair tends to photograph better so you need to take that into consideration when choosing your style.
We are not recommending drastically changing your hair colour! Just be mindful of choosing a style that will suit you. If you do not dye your hair at all then we certainly recommend a subtle colour or balayage. It really adds depth to your style (not just for your wedding but in general). Dyed hair holds curls and volume better so it does make it easier to create the style of your dreams. Dying your hair can soften your features, compliment your complexion and improve the appearance of your hairstyle in photos and in the flesh.
Struggling to come up with hairstyles ideas? Follow us on instagram and pinterest
Think about your location and weather!
If you are getting married outside (particularly if the weather forecast predicts wind!) having your hair out is not a smart style choice. While we understand that having your hair out can look beautiful, we encourage you to think practically – regarding the longevity of your hairstyle. We want you to look good 12 hours after getting your hair done! Perhaps, choose a half up half down hair style instead so your hair doesn’t get blown into your face when you are saying the all important “I do.”
Consider your dress.
Try and choose a hairstyle that works with your dress. We can give you more advice on this at the trial. Some good questions to consider are:
- Does the dress have a high neck line? If so choose an up-do so that the hairstyle does not get caught on the dress, it also creates a cleaner look to show off the dress.
- Is your dress classic or bohemian? It is nice for your hairstyle to compliment your dress. For example, consider a soft, relaxed style if your dress is bohemian and relaxed or opt for something more structured if your dress is more classic.
The most common mistake people make when getting ready for their wedding is skipping out on the hair cur! This can have a negative impact on your hair style as your hair will lack shape and movement.
For example, If you want a soft side swept fringe, then please get layers around your face starting around your mouth/jaw line. Again, if you want your hair out then please cut off all the dead, thin ends.
Consider Clip in Extensions
If your heart is set on having your hair down but it doesn’t hold well – purchase clip in extensions to help maintain the style. Take the extensions to your hair dresser and have them cut to your preferred length ahead of the trial. On the other hand, if you are having an up-do then they don’t need to be cut. If you have bob length hair and want an up-do, extensions can also be useful to give you more options.
Whatever your preferred style, choose clip ins rather than permanent extensions which are expensive and can damage hair and limit your styling options.
We recommend that our brides purchase clip in extensions from Glamor Sisters in Bankstown. If you are not from the area, it is definitely worth the journey. It is well known in the industry for great, affordable clip in extensions. In fact, a lot of hairstylists source hair extensions from there … and then charge you triple the amount in their own salon! Expect to pay around $80 for a packet (as opposed to $250-$300 which is what you will pay in the city).
Tips and Tricks:
- Think about all of the above before your trial. That way if you have any questions or concerns we can help you!
- Get your cut and colour done two weeks prior to the big day.
- Arrive with clean, dry hair. Oily hair is very hard to style as it often sits flat on the scalp. Please double shampoo your hair.
- Use salon quality shampoo and conditioner leading up to the trial and wedding.
- Please do not use leave in conditioner or oil as it makes the hair too slippery to style and can decrease the longevity of the style.
- Bring photos of hairstyles you like, showing both the front and back of the style. Try and choose photos with a similar cut and colour to your own hair.
- Bring your hair extensions with you to your trial.
- Bring your veil and hair accessories so we can ensure the hairstyle will work with your overall look.
I hope you have found this helpful and we look forward to being a part of your wedding day!